Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Last Week of Training

Wow....this is my 15th week of serious training for this half-marathon. To see how far I've come is amazing, not only in these last 15 weeks, but in the last two years. I started running for the first time in July of 2009. I remember not being able to run more than a quarter of a mile. In August 2009, I developed tendonitis in both of my knees and had to take 6 weeks off of running. October was when I completed my first 5k and I barely made it. If I had not had a friend to run with, I would have quit about mile 2. In five days, I will be attempting my first half-marathon. I cannot believe how far I've come. I never imagined I would enjoy running. I never thought I could do more than that first quarter of a mile. Even when I said I wanted to run a half-marathon, I didn't think I could do it. When I saw the training plan and the fact that my long runs increased each weekend by a mile, I thought that was impossible. Now here I am, already accomplished 12 miles and ready to complete my goal. I am so ready for this.

I say I'm ready for this and that I know I can do this, but in the back of my mind, I wonder if I really can. I know how I felt physically when I finished those 12 miles... I just have to get past the mental block of it all, and let the adrenaline of the weekend take me through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment