Saturday, March 26, 2011

Foot Brace

Tuesday's run was okay. I did the scheduled 4.5 miles, hoping the rain would hold off. We've been spoiled by the nicer weather that even the slightest bit of cold made me want to stay inside. I knew I wouldn't be able to get the proper mileage in if I ran inside so I pushed myself out the door and ran outside. I was pretty slow, but made it through. I was a little worried about the foot and my cold was still around. After last weekend's run, I was worried about being able to breathe, but I didn't have an issue.

Well, after I ran on Tuesday, I wore the plantar fasciitis brace on my foot. What it does, is keeps your foot flexed, so that while your foot is healing at night the arch tendon doesn't heal while it's shortened... does that make sense? Wednesday morning, I was really scared when I woke up but as I put my foot down on the ground, I didn't feel any pain! It was a miracle! I couldn't believe it would start working immediately! Throughout the day I could still feel some twinges, but not like before.

Thursday, I wasn't feeling motivated at all. I really didn't want to run but again, I pushed myself outside and had to tell myself that if I couldn't do the 4.5 miles today, how was I going to get comfortable doing the longer runs? So I got out there and completed the miles. I was still pretty slow, but not terrible.

I've been wearing my new foot brace all week, so imagine my surprise when I woke up Friday morning in excrutiating pain in my foot. I don't know if I wore the brace wrong or not tight enough, but it was not a good day. Friday night, I really paid attention to how I put on the brace. Thankfully, today (Saturday), the foot felt great...granted, I didn't run yesterday.

Tomorrow calls for an 8 mile run. Due to schedules, I'll be doing something I don't really want to do--getting up early to run. We'll see what comes of the foot Monday morning...

If you want to see a what the brace looks like, here you go

No comments:

Post a Comment