Sunday, March 27, 2011

20 Degrees is COLD!

My plan for the eight mile run this morning was to get up at 6:30 and be out of the house by 7:00 so I could be home by 8:30. For some strange reason, my alarm didn't go off. I'd been awake all morning, but happened to fall asleep in the time my alarm was supposed to go off. I woke up at 6:50 and hurried to get ready. I checked the temperature outside - 20 degrees. Brrr! I've never run in anything colder than 25, so I was leary about going out. I don't really have anything super warm... plus I lost one of my warm running socks in the laundry the other day. I bundled up with my usual--tights underneath my pants, long sleeve compression shirt under my running jacket, running gloves and earband. I put two pairs of my thinner athletic socks under my shoes.

I never know whether I should eat before I go out or not. I'm always afraid breakfast will sit in my stomach or give me a cramp... Since I got a late start today, I figured I would take a gel with me and just rely on that. Only, I forgot to take the gel with me :(

I made it out of the house at 7:20 and started making my way down the country roads. The first 1/2 mile was pretty cold. I had to take my fingers out of my gloves and let them warm themselves together. This was when I wished I would have brought my mp3 player so I could distract myself from the cold. I also realized at this time that I forgot my gel.

After the first 3/4 mile, I started to get comfortable. It was very peaceful at that time of the morning - I think only one car passed me in the first four miles. My route took me out four miles and then back... I wanted to do it that way so I could tease myself into thinking it was two four-mile runs. I don't know why, but it makes it easier if my mind thinks of it that way.

At four miles, I turned around and headed back. I started to feel it a little bit in my foot and my hips were getting stiff, I think from the cold. My pace was pretty slow, 11:30/mile but I did it. The last half-mile was on my road... I got cold again. The wind wasn't at my face but my toes and fingers were getting cold again. Luckily, the run was just about over :)

Eight miles done! I believe next week is a step-down week, so I can rest my foot after the shorter runs. Wore the brace in the two-hour car ride, both directions while icing it, so hopefully that'll help. I'll wear it again tonight and hopefully tomorrow will be a good day. I'm hoping the two days of rest will help too.

No comments:

Post a Comment