Sunday, April 3, 2011

This Week's Training

This week's training was all over the board. Both of the short runs were 3.5 miles and Tuesday's was rough. I couldn't get into it and I couldn't go faster than 11:00 pace throughout the whole run. My overall pace might have been 11:15. My knee hurt, my ankle was weird... I thought maybe my new shoes were going to have to go back to the store.

Wednesday was a 1/2 hour session on the recumbent bike at the Y. Nothing terribly exciting, because I was tired from the run on Tuesday and didn't want to wear myself out for the run on Thursday. My thighs were really tired during Tuesday's run. First time in a long time, I have felt that way.

Then Thursday's run felt great. My overall pace was 10:45 and I got as fast as 10:25 on one of my 1/2 mile splits. I felt a lot better than I did on Tuesday. I'm not sure what the difference was.

This weekend's long run was a 10k race, since it was a step back week. There wasn't really a race going on in town, but there was a trail run on Saturday. The early start was at 7am (ugh, too early for a day off...) so I was planning on doing that while hubby watched the kids. I ended up taking off a few minutes before they started the early start and it was still dark. It was neat to run by the river and watch the sun come up.

The trail run was pretty much for people who are doing the Glass City Marathon in Toledo and who are looking for another way to train with others. The GCM is in two weeks so there was a variety of distance being run. The way the course was set up was weird. You started at the start line, went one direction for about .75 (to the end of the towpath trail) turn around and go back through the start and keep going as long as you need to, then turn around and end at the start. Because of that, you had to calculate in your head how far to go. Apparently I can't run and do math in my head at the same time because I calculated wrong and ended up doing about 7 miles instead of the 6.2 required. Oh well, I guess I'd rather be wrong that direction..

So how did I do? Awesome! I ran by myself the whole time so I didn't have anyone pushing me along, but I did a great job of pushing myself anyway. My overall pace was 10:25 per mile, which I'm sure is a PR for any distance. I even went as fast as 10:10 for one of my splits! I felt great!

I'll be posting some stats tomorrow. Can you guess how many miles I've run so far this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment