Sunday, February 17, 2013

No Excuses, No Regrets

I've been out of sorts this week. I haven't felt like doing my running--or much of anything for that matter. Fortunately, I have the sense to stay motivated and do it. This training cycle is going to be the hardest thing I've ever done and I know that if I slack of now, it'll affect my training later and I'll regret it. I've decided that this is the time for no excuses and no regrets. I can always find some sort of excuse to not run and to not do my training. I'm good at find excuses. But this time there will be no excuses. It will get done.

Yesterday's run could have been filled with excuses to not get it done. I had 13 miles on the schedule. I was going to meet one friend for the second half of the run but she got sick and couldn't. I could have decided not to run, but didn't. Another friend offered to meet me for the second half. I had a route planned to meet her around the 7.5 mile mark and she would do the last 5-6 with me. Apparently I didn't know my route well enough and turned the wrong way about 1 1/4 before I was to meet her. I obviously didn't know this, but kept going.  When I hit 8 miles and didn't see our meeting place, I knew something was wrong but didn't know what I did. When I saw one of the street signs, I knew for sure that I took a wrong turn, but wasn't sure where. I knew I had two options--1. to turn down the cross street and head for home. It would have made it a little further than 13 miles, but I knew where I was, or 2. I could keep going down the trail and I would end up at a mall. I chose option 2 since it was an hour after I was supposed to meet her and I knew she would try to contact Hubby. I knew I could get access to a phone somewhere in the mall.

I got to the mall at 10.5 miles, used the restroom and then made the call to Hubby. Turns out he was already in the car on his way to find me. I had turned the wrong way onto the trail. I still had 2.5 miles to go and just ran around the mall for the last 2.5 miles.

So you see, I could have had many excuses to stop and walk or find a phone to just have someone pick me up. After expecting to have someone to run with, then not meeting up with that person running alone was pretty disappointing. Normally I would have struggled, but yesterday I pushed myself, kept my chin up and used my mantra: no excuses, no regrets.

No comments:

Post a Comment