Sunday, September 25, 2011

MIA

Wow, it's been a long time since I've posted... Life has caught up with me, so hopefully I haven't lost all my followers... #1 started kindergarten and also cross country so the evenings are pretty busy. There seems to have been a lot of meetings on the other days of the week and weekends are ALWAYS busy. Anyway, running has been taking a back burner to everything else, but I'm getting back in it. After my last 5k at the beginning of August, I had been having a lot of problems with my ankles and legs really hurting during the runs so I've been taking it a little easy and trying to work my way back to it. I also bought new shoes, which are neutral now, instead of having the arch support that I had before. Apparently I don't pronate anymore...? Anyway, they seem to be fine. I also bought a pair of trail shoes (accidentally) and ran my first trail run during cross country practice on Thursday. I'm hoping that'll help strengthen my ankles and that'll start to get better.

Today I ran my first 5k in almost 2 months. It was the Susan B. Komen Race for the Cure. In Northwest Ohio, this is one of the biggest races with 20,000 people. This was my first year running it and it was great. The course was good, the support was great, weather held off for us and turned out to be a great day. Hubby told me not to expect to PR today because of the sheer number of people, and I wasn't expecting to since I've been on and off with my running... Well, I don't know my official results, but I think I may have PR'ed. There were two chip mats at the end of the race about 50 feet apart. I stopped my Garmin at the first one, but that wasn't the end, it turned out. When I stopped my Garmin, it was 29:11 with a distance of 3.11, pace of 9:33. My PR is 29:36, so it'll be close. I wasn't trying to, in fact I wanted to slow down but couldn't. Every time I thought I was slowing down, I looked at my pace and was going faster than I thought.

Hopefully after this I can start to train more consistently. I'd like to get my mileage back up to 1/2 marathon distances. I think I'm going to do my next 1/2 in April, so there's plenty of time... in fact, I'm considering running the full marathon, but I'm not sure yet. Hubby is trying to convince me but I've only run one 1/2 so I'm not sure if I'm ready yet. I felt great at my first half but I don't know what will happen next. Only time will tell....

2 comments:

  1. Wow - go you! I would love to run 5K in 30 minutes! I'm thinking of entering one in a couple of weeks, so we shall see how close I can get to it!

    A half-marathon? That's a ways off! But I'd love to follow your progress :-) You can inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ingi--you can do it. My first 5k was 42 minutes. Over time you will improve. I know you can do it. I did a half marathon in May and didn't care what my pace was. I just wanted to finish. After that, my 5k pace became faster. It's never been about speed for me. I know I'm slow but I enjoy what I'm doing and a personal PR just motivates me even more. Good luck on your race!

    ReplyDelete